[Samba] Simple Samba Guide (Here it is)

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Mon Feb 18 11:21:07 GMT 2002

That looks okay, but I don't see where or how you fixed your "[X] Reconnect
at logon" option.

Some questions/comments, though:
You have "valid users" set to war (one single user), but "write list" set
for @staff (an entire group).  That sounds like it shouldn't work, to me.

Also, are you sure you want to set the permissions on your shares to "777"?
That right there is a potential security  boo-boo.

You may want to add to step 2 that your users must first exist in the
/etc/passwd file (they must be valid Unix-side users, though they do not
need the ability to logon, or even be enabled in the passwd file, they must
at least exist).  Most all of our users are disabled in the passwd file, as
they don't need to logon, but only access the server via Samba.

- john

--On Sunday, February 17, 2002 09:23 -0500 Justin Piszcz <war at starband.net>