[Samba] Printing from DOS application - delay

Stephen Lee splee at plexio.com
Mon Feb 18 10:42:43 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have samba 2.0.7 (on Redhat 6.2) running as a print server for a
Foxpro for DOS application. When printing from Foxpro (win98 client with
DOS printing turned on), the print job does not reach the samba server
print queue until the user shuts down the application. If I share the
printer on a windows box, printing occurs immediately within the Foxpro
application. Here are some of my settings on the Samba server:

[global]
        workgroup = ISOFFICE
        netbios name = OLDLINUX1
        server string = Linux Samba Server
        name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        username map = /etc/smbusers.map
        log level = 1
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 0
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        os level = 32
        local master = yes
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        guest account = interstyle
        hosts allow = 192.168.0. 192.168.1. 127.
        oplocks = Yes
        printing = BSD
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j

[printers]
        comment = Network Printers on Linux1
        browsable = no
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        guest ok = true
        guest account = interstyle

The Foxpro application prints to an Epson-compatible Okidata printer. If
I print from a Windows program, the print job is sent and printed
immediately. There doesn't appear to be any error messages in the samba
logs. I though it was a DOS/Windows problem but that wouldn't explain
why printing works fine when the printer is attached to a win98 box.

What else should I be looking at to resolve this problem?

Thanks,
Stephen