[Samba] install pb

VALLY DIDIER d_vally at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 18 10:41:05 GMT 2002

hello...
i have installed samba 2.2.3a on linux redhat 7.2

i have edited the smb.conf for acces to home directory /home/dv (dv is my
username).

i have added a line to /etc/hosts, this line contains the windows client Ip
address and netbios name

i can ping the windows computer by : ping winCompName
or ping 11.22.33.44 (its the ip)

i can ping the linux computer from the windows computer by  : ping
22.33.44.55 but not by: ping LinCompName

Is this normal??

On the linux computer when i do:
smbclient //LinCompName/dv i am asked for a password and i enter the
password for the account dv. Then the list of shared ressources are shown
and i can access to them

on the linux computer when i do:
smbclient -L \\LinCompName thats ok too

on the linux computer when i do:
smbclient -L WinCompName
it asks for a password and i enter my password for the windows machine
and that is ok... i see the shared ressources

why can't i access to the linux computer from windows. i see the linux
computer name in the network neighboorhood but when i click on it the
computer says "no path found to \\LinCompName".

the windows computer is under windows 2000. My administrator said that there
were not encrypted password so i put "encrypted...=no" in smb.conf on
linux... but i read on the net that win2000 used encrypted password.... is
my administrator wrong?

what could be the source of my problems??

thanx