[Samba] NEWS : 2.2.3a, Status of the SAMBA_2_2, future plans, etc...

Sean Elble s_elble at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 09:54:22 GMT 2002

Gerry,

Just one quick question (I hope): will HEAD support
creating an Active Directory domain? In other words,
will HEAD be able to support Active Directory even
without Windows 2000 AD servers present? A question
that may come up is is that functionality even
required, especially with the LDAP capabilities of
Samba taken into consideration, but I think being able
to create/control an AD domain would really be
beneficial to the community as a whole. And a big
thanks to the Samba group; 2.2.3 works great for me,
with Win2k, SP2 clients! ;-)

--- "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Greetings. I just wanted to take a few moments a
> give everyone
> an update on the plans for the 2.2 branch.
>
> First we would like to thank everyone who has
> provided feedback
> regarding the 2.2.3a release.  The positive feedback
> has been
> encouraging and the bug reports are proving to be
> very fruitful.
> Jeremy, Herb, and myself are planning on to continue
> development
> on the SAMBA_2_2 cvs tree until we feel confident
> that it
> has stabilized sufficiently to last until we get 3.0
> out.
> This means that there will be a 2.2.4 release in a
> within the next
> 30 days to address some of the bugs in 2.2.3a such
> as printer
> settings not being saved, documentation updates, et.
> al.
>
> We have spent a large amount of time on the file
> serving
> capabilities of SAMBA_2_2.  As a result, we have
> implemented
> new functionality present in Win2k SP2 clients,
> squashed several
> pressing oplocks bugs, and improvement performance.
>

> The set of spoolss rpc's needed for Win NT/2k/XP
> printing
> is continuing to evolve as we understand more of the
> Windows
> NT/2k printing semantics.  We believe that we have
> made
> some very significant moves forward in correctness.
>

> For those that have been affected by the bug in
> 2.2.3a
> which prevented printer settings from being saved on
> a Samba
> server, a small patch to address this was posted to
> this
> mailing list last week.  You can read about it here:
>
> 	?????????
>
> We would encourage everyone to continue to test the
> 2.2.3a
> release nd the SAMBA_2_2 cvs tree so we can continue
> to make
> the progress we have in the past months.
>
> Once the SAMBA_2_2 tree has stabilized to the point
> where
> we can focus on the HEAD branch, the we will all
> concentrate
> on the HEAD branch in an effort to finish the list
> of
> features for the 3.0 release.  Some of these include
>
>   * UNICODE support (done)
>   * Windows 2000 domain member support using
> Kerberos and
>     LDAP (done)
>   * new authentication backend (done)
>   * Windows NT 4.0 style trusts (in progress)
>   * Windows NT 4.0 SAM replication (in progress)
>   * Publishing printers and share information in
> Active
>     Directory (in progress)
>   * Mapping Windows Domain groups to UNIX groups
> [...]

=====
Sean P. Elble
Editor, Writer, Co-Webmaster
ReactiveLinux.com (Formerly MaximumLinux.org)
http://www.reactivelinux.com/
elbles at reactivelinux.com