[Samba] Windows2000SP2/Word2000 slow printing

Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 18 07:53:06 GMT 2002

I suspect this is an old one but can't find the answer in the archives

Symptoms:

Word2000 "hangs"/ takes ages(minutes) to open document apparently due
to doing something with default printer???

relevent smbd process on server runs up to 50-60% and stops there
for several minutes.

Oplocks seem to be created on downloadable driver files when printer is
accessed

DENY WRITE READONLY  EXCLUSIVE+BATCH  <sambaroot/printers>/W32X86/2/PSCPTUI.DLL
DENY WRITE READONLY  EXCLUSIVE+BATCH  <sambaroot/printers>/W32X86/2/PSCRIPT.DLL

Config:

Samba 2.2.3a on Sol2.8 (GNU compiler - CVS&clean build)
Mixed NT4SP6a and Win2Ksp2 clients

Downloadable printer drivers for mainly HP printers
drivers loaded as per How To, as domain admin to printer server
from NT4 machine (also tried from 2000 machine)
NT4 or Windows

One Samba server is PDC, other is print server for HP printers

Printer shares are set:-

 use client driver =yes
 devmode = no           ( also have tried devmode = yes )

 Printing is fine from "Print test page" etc. HP5000 printer
 is used for testing. All settings,permissions etc.  are remembered
 correctly.

 Questions:

 1/ Is anyone else seeing this behavior (especially with Word2000/Office2K)

 2/ I have a bad feeling about the OpLocks on the 2 driver files..is this
  normal?

 3/ When there are ¨Windows2000"  as well as "Windows2000 and NT4" drivers
 how does Samba distinguish- or maybe it doesn't :-?

 4/ How to force a download of a  new version of driver files to a client
 that has autoloaded drivers?

 Any pointers or indications of similar problems appreciated...
 ( logs dont show any obvious problems as far as I can see but I can generate
some BIG level 6 examples if they may be useful)