[Samba] "Everyone" group missing?

Todd Knauer Todd at jmtsolutions.com
Sun Feb 17 14:51:05 GMT 2002

Is anyone else running 2.2.3a, winbind, security=DOMAIN, and ACL support
on Linux that could verify something for me?

It seems some/all of the well-know groups are not working (Everyone,
Creator/Owner, etc) for me and I am trying to figure out if I am the
only one with this problem or if anyone else has the problem.  If I
connect to a share on my Samba server from an NT client and change the
permissions on a file or directory I can add domain groups (Domain
Admins, etc) and set access (Read/Change/FullControl etc) with no
problems.  Now if I try and add the "Everyone" group it appears to add
the group and save the permissions but if you look at the
properties/permissions of the file again the Everyone group is not
listed.  There is a group listed in the permissions list without a name
but only shows the global group ICON. If I remove that nameless group
from the permissions list and then view the permissions again I find it
has reappeared.

I would just like verification that no one else has this problem as I
have not been able to find any reference to the problem. If others do
not have this problem then I will know it is something I should be able
to fix.

Thanks,
Todd