[Samba] security passwd-encryption & netbios-names (wins)-RH 7.2 samba 221a (standard installation from rpm)

Diembo Linux at deschuen.de
Sun Feb 17 04:32:04 GMT 2002

Hey geeks,

I have been reading several faqs and howtos now and haven't come very far
with what I really wanted to accomplish:
I have installed samba from the RH 7.2 distro rpm. I have set it up so I can
access my windows shares on the linux mashine. I can "ping athlon" (which is
the netbios-name for the win2k mashine) I can "ping linux" (which is
obviously my linux-box). Both from my linux box, because I have given them
names in the /etc/hosts file. I CANNOT "ping linux" on my win2k-box, but it
works with the ip (192.168.0.2). SOMETIMES I can see my linux samba-server in
the networking-neighbourhood on my win2k-box, but this is very rare and
confusing me that it doesn't work always (I tried working around this with
giving the "wins support = yes" option in /etc/samba/smb.conf file. When I
set up a very low security-level I could do both, access my win2k-mashine
from linux and vv, but since I gave smb.conf the "valid users = %S" option
it doesn't work anymore. Even from my linux-box I cannot get write access to
my shares (with smbclient //linux/public -U myusername; and entered my passwd
for that user). I have read the encryption.txt file and generated a smbpasswd
file with the command "cat /etc/passwd | smbpasswd > /etc/samba/smbpasswd"
which should be the right location in my case (I suppose). I also checked
whether it has the right content. Do I maybe need other files for samba
aswell (smbusers, resolve.conf, ...)? I did all that and thought I would, at
least be able to fully access my shares on the linux-box with the smbclient,
with the right usename and passwd but it doesnt work. I am banging my head
against walls and cant come to a solution. Could someone who has had this
problem or similar give me at least a hint before I go completely mad? The
hint from Don last time was very good. In that case I didnt think of an
installed firewall on my linux-box because I havent set it up. I guess it's
something similar this time but I just can't think about it. Thanks in
advance.
--
Diembo working @ Linux :-P

PS: I have attached my smb.conf file for check.
I also would be happy about hints on the wins server option whether I have to
do more than setting the option "wins support = yes", because it didnt work
that way, the name linux still couldnt be resolved by my win2k mashine.

# smb.conf - file
[global]
   workgroup = heuer
   server string = HEUER's Samba