[Samba] Samba Team? - "ld.so.1: ls: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/lib/nss_winbind.so.1: symbol socket: referenced symbol not fou n d"

Esh, Andrew AEsh at tricord.com
Fri Feb 15 13:21:17 GMT 2002

You can test if winbind is able to resolve user IDs internally with "wbinfo
-u". This uses the samba tool "wbinfo" to connect directly to the running
winbind daemon and list all the Windows domain users. If that fails, then
you have problems with the winbind daemon itself. The authentication between
winbind and the PDC can be tested with "wbinfo -t", which is usually the
next thing which should be checked in this situation.

If wbinfo succeeds, then you can test the NSS connection to the winbind
daemon with "getent passwd". This lists all the Unix users, as well as the
Windows users being translated by winbind. The Windows users can be
identified by the prepending of the domain name in front of their user name.
If that fails, then there is a problem with libnss_winbindd.so,
/etc/nsswitch.conf, or symlinks from the lib directory to wherever the
library is stored. Also remember to run ldconfig (does Solaris have an
equivalent?) to get the library into the cache. Test this with "ldconfig -p
| grep winbind".

It sounds as though you have NSS configured right. I can't tell if the nss
library is installed right. I can't tell if winbind is running right, or if
it authenticated wit the PDC. The above tests will answer those questions.

Hope this helps.