[Samba] changing macintosh type and creator codes

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Fri Feb 15 02:45:03 GMT 2002

This is not unusual - a PC has no concept of type and creator - it relies
on the extension.

This means that when a PC copies a file from a macintosh, it doesn't bother
to / can't read that kind of data - it's irrelevant to a PC.

Therefore when it copies back to the mac, you don't have any of the
information to put back, even if the mac could ask for it.

The only way to achieve this is through an extension map.  If you use
netatalk on the Linux machine, you can define such a map, but that just
shares from Linux to macs, not to pcs, you would still need samba to share
to the pcs, and all files would have to be transferred to the Linux box,
and out again, for use on the mac.

At 02:04 PM 2/14/02 -0600, cneely at cybermemphis.com wrote:

>Anytime a PC on our network copies a file to our server and a macintosh
>client
>goes to view that file, the type and creator codes are incorrect. We are
>running
>Samba for Windows clients and Xinet KA-Share for Mac clients. I think it has
>something to do with the resource forks. I can copy a file to the server
>from a
>Mac then copy the file from the server to a windows machine and back again
>and the type and creator codes will be changed. Any ideas anyone?
>Thanks, Chris

Martyn Ranyard

I am not a member of the samba team,
and anything that I say may not be as