[Samba] Having trouble getting "join" to work successfully

Darin DeCounter ddecounter at lvrj.com
Thu Feb 14 11:42:02 GMT 2002

We've added the server name to our PDC (as a Windows NT Workstation or
Server) and when we attempt to "join" we get the following error msg:

hbsrv{root}#smbpasswd -j DDRJ -r PDC-DDRJ
cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
PDC-DDRJ.
Error was : NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT.
2002/02/14 11:07:44 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain DDRJ.
Unable to join domain DDRJ.
hbsrv{root}#

We've tried removing and adding the server name to our PDC...and removing
the secrets & machineSID file from /private directory.  When we try to join
again, we get the same msg.

I've been through the whole /docs/DIAGNOSIS.txt and the only test that
fails is #8 (net view \\BIGSERVER) and I'm presuming that's because the
join hasn't worked correctly.  Can anyone help me out?  I would certainly
appreciate it.  Thanks.

Darin DeCounter

Atex Assistant System Administrator
Las Vegas Review-Journal