[Samba] Need help with seeing samba server in Win98

Jill Van Zelfden jvanzelfden at abog.org
Thu Feb 14 07:57:16 GMT 2002

Bill,

Thank you for your response.  However, none of your suggestions have fixed
our situation.

We changed Wins support to No based on your suggestion with no changes in
symptoms (even after 7 hours of waiting over night).

Based on the browsing.txt file I found online, wins server is suggested to
be set to yes.  So, we have reset it back to yes and done a few other things
it suggested.  Still, we can not seem to get this to work.

I have included our smb.conf file below as well as our Win98 settings.  Do
you have any further suggestions?

Sincerely,
Jill Van Zelfden

----smb.conf as set by SWAT----
[global]
   workgroup = ABOGEXAM
   serverstring = Samba SMB Server
   interfaces = 192.168.1.6/24  127.0.0.1/24
   bind interfaces only = Yes
   encrypt passwords = Yes
   log level = 3
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   time server = Yes
   domain logons = Yes
   os level = 65
   preferred master = True
   domain master = True
   wins support = Yes
   guest account = smbuser
   printing = lprng
   hide dot files = No
[public]
   comment = Public
   path = /home/public
   read only = No
   create mask = 0664
   directory mask = 0775
   guest ok = Yes
[data]
   comment = Data
   path = /home/samba/data
   read only = No
   create mask = 0660
   directory mask = 0770
   guest ok = Yes

----Windows 98 settings----
Client for Microsoft Networks
   Quick Logon selected
TCP/IP
   bindings: Client for Microsoft Networks
             File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks
   IP: 192.168.1.10 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
   Wins Configuration: Enable 192.168.1.6
   DNS Configuration: Enable
             Host: station2
             Domain: abogexam