[Samba] Authentication problems Still

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Thu Feb 14 06:54:06 GMT 2002

How did you join the Sun machine to the domain? There was a bug in
2.2.3a in using smbpasswd with the -U option in joining the
domain (only on big endian machines - what CPU is on your Sun).
Try the latest CVS from the 2.2 branch and see if this fixes
your problem. There may still be more byte-order problems, I
just haven't found them yet.

Con Harte wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've tried everything I can think of, and spent many many
> hours trying to get this Sun Solaris 8 machine to authenticate
> with a Linux 7.1 machine acting as the PDC.
>
> In summary:
> Both machines are running 2.2.3a compiled from source
> without additional arguments (just ran configure on each platform)
> No problems with Win95, Win98, WinNT authenticating with the Linux
> PDC.
> The Sun machine can attach to any other machine in the network,
> no other machine on the network can attach to the Sun one, as it
> invariably fails on obtaining authentication with the PDC.
>
> A couple of the messages in the logs are as follows.
> connect_to_domain_password_server: unable to setup the PDC credentials
> to machine GFMNET01. Error was : SUCCESS - 0.
> tdb((NULL)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file
> /usr/local/samba/var/locks/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory
>
> I have tried copying the "unexpected.tdb" file from the PDC to the Sun
> knowing that it probably shouldn't be done that way, but as yet I have
> had no response to any posts, so I'm stuck between a big rock and a
> hard
> place.
>
> Needless to say, that didn't work.  (Should this file be automatically
> created, and if so under what circumstances?) It has never appeared on
> the Sun machine, until I copied it there from the PDC.  I'm now going
> to remove it as whatever the PDC stored in there has no business being
> on a domain member machine (I'm guessing here)
>
> I've read through the source started in password.c and think I know
> roughly what's going on.  But it seems to me that the Sun machine
> doesn't correctly interpret an OK response from the PDC.
> (Byte Order issues?) -- Who knows? Not I.
>
> Really desparate now.
> Any comments welcome,
> Please comment!?
>
> Con Harte
> A Broken Systems Administrator
> GFM Services Ltd.
>
> PS.  If there's anyone out there that plays Telegraph Fantasy
> Football,
> you're gonna have to suffer till I get this issue resolved. It's
> hogging
> all my time. :)

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177