[Samba] Netbios name resolution with DHCP

Thomas, Daniel J. Daniel.Thomas at jhuapl.edu
Thu Feb 14 05:40:33 GMT 2002

DHCP is only Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.  This is the service that
*assigns* IP addresses to machines as needed.  This service does not provide
name resolution.  You will either need to run a WINS (Windows Internet Name
Service) server (if your linux machines can use wins), or a DNS (Domain Name
Service) server.  Either setup your machines to auto register with this
server or add the ip entries yourself.  If you plan on continuing to get IP
addresses from DHCP, you will need to configure the clients to auto register
with the service.
-Dan