[Samba] Authentication problems Still

Con Harte sysadmin at gfm.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 04:17:03 GMT 2002

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your prompt response.
The nmbd daemon is running, as shown in this ps output.

e250:/usr/local/samba 869 > ps -fe | grep mbd
     root 15144     1  0 19:47:54 ?        0:00 smbd
     root 15835 12915  0 12:03:35 pts/1    0:00 grep mbd
     root 15055     1  0 19:02:23 ?        0:03 nmbd
Which should be started first, nmbd or smbd? Or does it
not make much difference as long as they both start a short
time within each other?  As you can see here I stopped the
smbd process, and started a new one at 19:47 last night,
and left the previously running nmbd.  Is this ok to do?

I will now shut down both processes, remove the unexpected.tdb
and start both up, and let you know when it appears, or if it
doesn't.  How long is a reasonable amount of time for it to
run before it starts populating the file. Does it need an
empty file to start working?

The Sun machine doesn't get many requests at the moment, but it
is going to be a mass backup device for all our PCs (amongst
other things to do with databases and other boring stuff)

Thanks,

Con.