[Samba] Problem with DOMAIN security and smbpasswd file

Fred Vegliante ft_vegliante at raytheon.com
Wed Feb 13 08:09:40 GMT 2002

I have configured SAMBA 2.2.2 on a Solaris 8 system. It is configured to use
security=DOMAIN

Here are my config settings:

# Global parameters
  [global]
          workgroup = RES-NT
          netbios name = SWLPB5
          security = DOMAIN
          encrypt passwords = Yes
          password server = resand-dc001
          username map = /usr/localdisk/samba/users.map
          name resolve order = wins lmhosts host
          preferred master = False
          local master = No
          domain master = False
          wins server = 138.X.X.X

Whenever I attempt to connect to the shared folder on the server, I get
errors in the log.smbd file.

[2002/02/13 10:28:35, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1554)
domain_client_validate: could not fetch trust account password for domain
RES-NT

I have an smbpasswd file with an entry for my username in there. If I remove
the file, nothing works.  My understanding is that with DOMAIN security, I
should not even need the smbpasswd file, yet if I remove the file, nothing
works.

So what the heck am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Fred