[Samba] 8 char password limit

Chad McCaslin Chad_A_McCaslin at raytheon.com
Wed Feb 13 07:27:22 GMT 2002

I have installed samba on a solaris 2.8 sparcstation and have a Win2000 server running Active
Directory, DNS and being the domain controller.  There are no users in the smbpasswd file. All authentication comes from the domain
controller.  When the password contains 8 or
less characters, samba will receive a valid authentication from the domain controller and the
files will appear in the Win200 client.  When using passwords greater than 8 characters, I get
NT_DOMAIN_INVALID_PASSWORD from the Domain Controller.  I have been told that the old
windows OS authenticated passwords using only the first 8 character, but the new OS now
authenticates with all characters.

I have also installed samba on another Win2000 client network with Win NT PDC using "server" type
instead of "domain" and it works with more than 8 character passwords.
I have read that samba is limited to 8 character usernames, but
I have not found anything regarding 8 character passwords.

Any help is appreciated. Chad.

smb.conf file:

[global]
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        netbios name = UXAPP
        server string = UxApp, Samba 2.2.0
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = *
        username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/nsusers.conf
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
[homes]
        comment = Home Directory
        read only = No