[Samba] Need advice on Linux/Samba as PDC

Steve Snyder steves at formation.com
Wed Feb 13 07:25:09 GMT 2002

I've just upgraded my Linux (RedHat v7.2 + v2.4.17 kernel) box to Samba
v2.2.3a.  Now I'm ready to set up winbindd so that this box may act as a
PDC.

First, a little background.  I have previously been using Samba 2.2.2 as a
master workgroup server for Linux and Win98 clients.  Now I want to add
support for use as a PDC with Win2K clients.

I've set up my /etc/nsswitch.conf per the documentation:

	passwd:     files winbind nisplus
	shadow:     files winbind nisplus
	group:      files winbind nisplus

I'm a little confused about which file in /etc/pam.d to modify.  Is it the
samba file or the system-auth file?  I suspect it is the system-auth, but
I'm not clear on how to integrate the documented changes into my existing
RedHat config.  This is what the file looks like now:

# cat /etc/pam.d/system-auth
#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth     required   /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth     sufficient /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth     required   /lib/security/pam_deny.so
account  required   /lib/security/pam_unix.so
password required   /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password sufficient /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow
password required   /lib/security/pam_deny.so
session  required   /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session  required   /lib/security/pam_unix.so

Given this existing config, what changes to I need to make to have
Linux/Samba/winbindd act as a PDC?

Thanks.