[Samba] linux groups & NT global groups with winbindd

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Tue Feb 12 13:38:14 GMT 2002

Hi Doug,
I'm going to make an educated guess: NO.
at least on HP-UX, the entries in the /etc/group file
are of the form
groupname:...:gid:username,username.....

NOTE the "username"....
Unix (afaik) does not support the concept of 'nested' groups.
a Unix group contains names that resolve to UIDS, not GIDS.
On top of this, there is also the fact that when you authenticate
via winbindd, you are authenticating as the NT user, and will
be bounded by the NT groups you are a member of.  So when samba
is checking to see what groups you are a member of, it's not looking
in the /etc/group file at all.  I'm NOT looking at the code while I'm
writing this, so I could be wrong - I graciously accept corrections,
if any one knows different...
So I wouldn't expect this to work.
Hope this helps,
Don