[Samba] (no subject) (fwd)

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Feb 12 09:26:03 GMT 2002

Forwarded to samba@#samba.org....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 07:57:08 -0800
From: "Szymanek, Greg" <GSzymanek at columbiaforestproducts.com>
To: "'samba-docs at lists.samba.org'" <samba-docs at lists.samba.org>
Subject: (no subject)

	Samba Experts,

	I hope you don't mind me sending you an email about Samba, however
I am pulling my hair out.

	I have configured Samba 2.2.3a on a RH 7.1 server. It appears the
install went fine and the server portion works. I am however having
trouble on the WIN_NT cleint side. I have WIN_NT 4.0 service pack 6a and a
couple of WIN_2000 Clients. I cannot seem to connect to the Samba server
at all. The error message, "No server is operating at the destination
network endpoint on the remote system" is driving me up the wall. Here is
a list of things I can verify.

1. Server Daemons are running and listening on ports tcp 139 and udp
139.

2. The command 'smblient -L localhost'  lists all my shares
correctly.

3. The testparm command does not compalin about anything in my
smb.conf file which is located in /etc/samba/.

4. Within the smb.conf file, encrypt passwd = yes is turned on and
smb passwd file path is specified.

5. On the local WIN_NT and WIN_2000 clients, the UID and PASSWD are
exactly the same as the /etc/passwd and 	/etc/samba/smbpasswd.

	I really need some guidenance here, if you cannot help or don't
have time can you recommend a resource that can help me. I have been
working away for 2 day's now and I am no further ahead than I was on
Friday. Thanks in advance for your help. I have been all over RH's support
site and that's how I arrived here.

6. Here is my smb.conf file:

	[global]
  		workgroup = TAIS
		server string = Samba SMB Server
		bind interfaces only = yes
		security = SHARE
		encrypt passwd = yes
		smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
		log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
		max log size = 50
		time server = yes
		socket options = TCP_NODELAY S)_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
		preferred master = yes
		dns proxy = no
		wins server = 132.147.176.2
		guest account = smbuser