[Samba] Differences in printer functionality between 2.2.2 and 2.2.3a? PANIC Internal error

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Feb 12 07:32:23 GMT 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Tim Allen wrote:

> Here is last piece of log level10 output for the 2.2.3a problem I described
> in my earlier posting. This does not occur in 2.2.2.
> If anyone can help with this I have the rest of the log:
> [2002/02/12 10:09:29, 0]
> rpc_client/cli_spoolss_notify.c:spoolss_connect_to_client(73)
> [2002/02/12 10:09:29, 0] lib/fault.c:fault_report(38)
>   ===============================================================
> [2002/02/12 10:09:29, 0] lib/fault.c:fault_report(39)
>   INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 10822 (2.2.3a)
>   Please read the file BUGS.txt in the distribution
> [2002/02/12 10:09:29, 0] lib/fault.c:fault_report(41)
>   ===============================================================
> [2002/02/12 10:09:29, 0] lib/util.c:smb_panic(1064)
>   PANIC: internal error

Can you set "panic action = /bin/sleep 90000" and attach to the crashed
smbd using gdb to get me a backtrace?  This would be very helpful.

> I've been using the SPOOLSS printing support with 2.2.2 (RH7.1) with a
> mix of W2000 and NT4 clients. On moving to 2.2.3a, (same smb.conf) I
> find that any changes to document defaults made under NT4 are not
> remembered, W2000 clients just keep reporting "failed to open" on
> opening the printer (all these done as administrator). Switching back to
> 2.2.2 and everything is OK again. Anyone else had similar problems?

Here's the summary of the major changes between 2.2.2 and 2.2.3a.

  * we got the semantics of the change_id field of the
    PRINTER_INFO_LEVEL_0 correct as far as we understand it.
    However, this has opened an entire new can of worms.
    The change_id value is used to synchronize caches
    of the printer information between the server and the client.

    One the main realizations was that change_id is updated
    of SetPrinterData() & [Set|Add|Delete]Form() calls as
    well as the [Set|Add|Delete]Printer() calls.

  * The addition of several Win2k specific printing RPCs:
    EnumPrinterKey(), EnumPrinterDataEx(), & [Set|Get]PrinterDataEx().

  * The addition of a smb.conf(5) parameter to control the creation
    of a default Device Mode for a printer ("default devmode").

  * Lots of little bug fixes.

By far the change_id fix has had the mode impact because it opened
up entirely new code paths when working with win2k/NT clients.
It is definitely an advance in correctness, but it seems that
we've not quite finished it yet :-(

Known Bugs :

  * Document Defaultws not being saved (working on this one
    today).

  * System Event ID 20 in the Windows NT Event Log.  This one appears
    to simply be an anoyance because there is no increase in network
    traffic (the files are not actually being downloaded).  The source
    source of the issues appears to be the fact that Samba has to fake
    the creation time of files.  As far as I can tell, it only occurs when
    you are connected to a printer as an administrative user.

Hope this help[s to clarify things some.  For what's it's worth,
2.2.3 probably should have been a 2.4.0 release.

cheers, jerry