[Samba] nmbd is running but is doing nothing

Praise praisetazio at tiscalinet.it
Tue Feb 12 06:25:05 GMT 2002

Hi all,

After a while I have tracked down my problem with basic browsing. nmbd deamon
is running BUT is not doing anything useful.
Here it is:

root     18944  0.0  1.3  2312  832 ?        S    Feb11   0:00
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
root     18945  0.0  0.1  2248   64 ?        S    Feb11   0:00
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D

The first one binds the udp ports 137 and 138.

I have tried the suggestions in the online documentation without finding my
error or a solution. I have also read the Samba book by Borkner-Delcarlo
without success.

I am not posting here my smb.conf and my log files, but I will if it is
requested.

Praise

ps: I have seen in /etc/services that wins ports are 1512 (udp and tcp). My
server is configured to be a wins, but both 1512 ports are closed. Maybe I
have another problem?? Or is it just the same?