[Samba] Make Problems Solaris 8

Diego Julian Remolina dijuremo at math.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 12 05:27:05 GMT 2002

Hi everybody,

I am trying to complie samba 2.2.3 on a Solaris 8 machine.  I am
configuring samba with the following command:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/encap/samba-2.2.3a --with-automount
--with-quotas --with-utmp --with-profile --with-syslog --with-smbwrapper
--with-krb5=/usr/local

Configure runs fine withouth any problems but when trying to make then I
find the following error:

Compiling tdb/spinlock.c with -fpic
Compiling tdb/tdbutil.c with -fpic
Compiling smbwrapper/wrapped.c with -fpic
Linking shared library bin/smbwrapper.so
ld: fatal: too many symbols require `small' PIC references:
        have 2057, maximum 2048 -- recompile some modules -K PIC.
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `bin/smbwrapper.so'

I am using gcc 2.95.3 on a Solaris 8 machine.

I have not been able to find any suggestions either on google or on the
samba list. so I am writing to see if anybody can give me a hand.

Thank you very much for any help you may give me in advance,

Diego Remolina