[Samba] smbmount rights question

Tony Ricker rickera2 at SLU.EDU
Mon Feb 11 08:23:18 GMT 2002

All,
	I mount a Windows directory and share it out to my users. The problem
is that they can not save to the share. Doing a ls gives me the
following..

drwxr-xr-x    1 root     domain_a      512 Jan 10 16:09 Mgrs

I can not change the permissions, probably because the rights must me
set from the windows share, and I can not change ownership either. I
read that the default is rw for the mount, and you could specify ro if
you wanted. I used the following command to mount:

mount -t smbfs //test/test /mnt/temp -o username%password

Here is the related smb.conf to the share:

#MGRS
[Mgrs]
  comment = Mgrs share
  browseable = yes
  writable = yes
  path = /mnt/temp/Departments/UMG/PhysBill/Mgrs
  valid users = fergusa2,rickert,ladensn

How could I allow the users to write to the share? Do I have to have the
permissions changed on the windows side first? I appreciate any and all
help.

Cheers,
Tony