[Samba] Very strange issue, please assist "Not listening on called name" ?

Matthew J. Salerno msalerno at vagabond.homeip.net
Mon Feb 11 07:56:44 GMT 2002

> This error message is close to what your are getting. Maybe it is
> relevant.  This comes from RecentFaq's in textdocs.
>
> Joel
>
> Not listening for calling name
> ==============================
>
> > Session request failed (131,129) with myname=HOBBES destname=CALVIN
> > Not listening for calling name
>
> If you get this when talking to a Samba box then it means that your
> global "hosts allow" or "hosts deny" settings are causing the Samba
> server to refuse the connection.
>
> Look carefully at your "hosts allow" and "hosts deny" lines in the
> global section of smb.conf.
>
> It can also be a problem with reverse DNS lookups not functioning
> correctly, leading to the remote host identity not being able to
> be confirmed, but that is less likely.
>
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 09:47:20AM -0500, Matthew J. Salerno wrote:
> > Connecting to 192.168.0.2 at port 139
> > [2002/02/08 12:51:20, 0]
> > libsmb/cliconnect.c:attempt_netbios_session_request(838)
> > attempt_netbios_session_request: P750 rejected the session for name
> > *SMBSERVER with error Not listening on called name
> > [2002/02/08 12:51:20, 3] smbd/negprot.c:reply_negprot(433)

I added

hosts allow = 192.168.0.

to the global directives.  The would include all systems on the subnet.  I
still get the same error.  Since the message reads:

P750 rejected the session for name *SMBSERVER with error Not listening on
called name

wouldn't that mean that it is finding the correct server but something else
is going wrong ?  I have added and removed all host allow and host deny from
my smb.conf and I still get the same error.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately it did not work.   If you or anyone has
any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Matt