[Samba] MSDFS

marion.haines at countygovt.brevard.fl.us marion.haines at countygovt.brevard.fl.us
Mon Feb 11 07:20:07 GMT 2002

Running two Samba servers (configs shown below).  Trying to get MSDFS to work but getting only partial success.

Server smb2 is the MSDFS host.  It's running Samba 2.2.3a on RedHat 7.1.  Samba was compiled on this computer using the --with-msdfs switch.  The program "testparm" shows no errors.

Server smb1 has the Public share that I want to be seen on smb2.  It's running Samba 2.2.1a on RedHat 7.1.  Again, "testparm" shows no errors.  It's Public share has the directory structure shown below (as seen by Microsoft Windows Explorer).

     Public

       |--ISCOMM

       |--PAO

I stopped Samba on smb2, went to /usr/local/UDrive and issued the following command:

     ln -s msdfs:smb1\\Public others

and then restarted Samba.

After the above, when I look at the share on smb2 in Network Neighborhood (on a Win93SE PC and on a Win2K Pro PC), I see the "others" folder, but can't see the ISCOMM and PAO directories below it.

I've been over and over the documentation (titled:  "Hosting a Microsoft Distributed File System Tree on Samba") and I'm stumped as to what to do next.

In all other respects, 2.2.3a is working just fine.

Thanks for any help,
Marion D. Haines
Network Administrator
Board of County Commissioners
Brevard County, Florida
==================================
EMail:  marion.haines at countygovt.brevard.fl.us
Phone: 321-617-7398
==================================

# Samba config file created using SWAT
   # Date: 2002/02/11 09:49:43

   # Global parameters
   [global]
           workgroup = EOC
           netbios name = SMB2
           server string = Server Samba2, Version %v
           interfaces = 192.168.233.10/255.255.255.0
           encrypt passwords = Yes
           smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
           passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
           passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
           unix password sync = Yes
           log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
           max log size = 0
           name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
           time server = Yes
           deadtime = 15
           domain admin group = root @sadmin
           logon script = scripts\sstartup.bat
           logon path =
           logon home =
           domain logons = Yes
           os level = 64
           preferred master = True
           domain master = True
           dns proxy = No
           wins server = 192.168.204.40
           host msdfs = Yes
           write list = @sadmin
           printer admin = @sadmin
           create mask = 0755
           printing = lprng
           dos filetimes = Yes

   [printers]
           comment = All Printers
           path = /var/spool/samba
           printable = Yes
           printer driver file =
           browseable = No

   [UDrive]
           comment = SAMBA folder for user data storage.
           path = /usr/local/UDrive
           read only = No
           create mask = 0766
           msdfs root = Yes

   [print$]
           comment = Samba share for print driver storage.
           path = /usr/local/samba/printers
           admin users = @sadmin
           create mask = 0775
           directory mask = 0775
           guest ok = Yes

   [netlogon]
           comment = The STGroup domain logon service.
           path = /export/samba/netlogon
           read only = No
           browseable = No
           share modes = No

   [profiles]
           comment = NT profile location setup.
           path = /export/smb/profiles
           read only = No
           create mask = 0600
           directory mask = 0700
           browseable = No

# Samba config file created using SWAT
   # Date: 2002/02/11 09:48:58

   # Global parameters
   [global]
           workgroup = STGROUP
           netbios name = SMB1
           server string = Server Samba1, Version %v
           interfaces = 192.168.204.40/255.255.255.0
           encrypt passwords = Yes
           smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
           passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
           passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
           unix password sync = Yes
           log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
           max log size = 0
           name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
           time server = Yes
           deadtime = 15
           domain admin group = root @sadmin
           logon script = scripts\sstartup.bat
           logon path =
           logon home =
           domain logons = Yes
           os level = 64
           preferred master = True
           domain master = True
           dns proxy = No
           wins support = Yes
[...]

   [Public]
           comment = For file transfer between offices using MSDFS.
           path = /usr/local/UDrive/Public
           admin users = @sadmin
           read only = No
           create mask = 0744