[Samba] Can not change user password with smbpasswd

Kestutis Saldziunas k.saldziunas at medbank.lt
Mon Feb 11 04:24:02 GMT 2002

Hello,

Please let me know why user (not root) can not change password (connected in Linux machine)? The log is below:

admin at samba_ux:/usr/local/samba/private > smbpasswd
INFO: Debug class all level = 1   (pid 1060 from pid 1060)
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : The specified passwo
rd is invalid.
Failed to change password for admin
admin at samba_ux:/usr/local/samba/private >

I use various password combinations, so it could not be due too simple password or reenter error.

Thans a lot for help.
Kestutis