Fwd: [Samba] Almost all working, except for "[: too many arguments" on samba login

Mark Cooke mark at mmebs.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 02:25:02 GMT 2002

>1. whenever a user logs in with a winbind user account, it says "[: too
>many arguments"  This only started since I added a line in system.auth
>for the pam_mkhomedirs.so to make the directories.  If I remove that
>line, I still get the error.  Can I safely ignore it, or is it a symptom
>of a big problem?

We had the same problem here, ON RH, its to do with your /etc/profile and
it not liking spaces in the users & groups (this might not be youre
problem, but this was ours).

Anyway Ive edited the folowing in my /etc/profile:
basically its the addition of the backticks on the if line..

if [ "`id -gn`" = "`id -un`" -a `id -u` -gt 14 ]; then
         umask 002
else
         umask 022
fi