[Samba] Urgent -Please comment

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Feb 10 17:55:04 GMT 2002

On Sunday 10 February 2002 15:14, Javid Abdul-AJAVID1 wrote:
> Thanks for responding
> I am running samba2.0.7 on solaris2.6.
>
> Data is on Unix server ( image files size of 900Mg avg 0
> PC is downloading these files via a samba server , samba is stand alone
> doing nothing but just mapping PC to UNIX share ( image files ) and giving
> access to image file directory which is sitting on another Unix box.
>
> RAM on samba is 512, only this user using it.
>
> My question is when one is downloading or copying files from unix share on
> to PC box via samba, what does samba server do?

It goes through the NFS mount and gets/puts the files - It may cache some
of the files, but only as much as NFS allows.  It's not copying the files locally
or anything.
Try altering your mount options.  In FreeBSD we saw a little improvement by
mounting with larger read/write buffers and the "interruptable" flag.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services