[Samba] W2000 administrator identification

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Feb 10 08:05:14 GMT 2002

Joyce LAMBERT wrote:

> When I try to config the W2K domain name he ask an administrator
> identification (so i use the administrator define in smb.conf and added
> to th smbusers)
<SNIP>
> in english it is something like the identification information you give
> are in conflict with an existing reference

This is a rather bizaar problem, and the solution is in the samba-HOWTO-collection:

<EXCERPT>
Q: I get told "You already have a connection to the Domain...." or "Cannot join domain,
the credentials supplied conflict with an existing set.." when creating a machine account.

A:
This happens if you try to create a machine account from the machine itself and already
have a connection (e.g. mapped drive) to a share (or IPC$) on the Samba PDC. The following
command will remove all network drive connections:

C:\WINNT\> net use * /d

Further, if the machine is a already a 'member of a workgroup' that is the same name as the
domain you are joining (bad idea) you will get this message. Change the workgroup name to
something else, it does not matter what, reboot, and try again.
</EXCERPT>

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology