[Samba] smbpasswd and RID values

Gonzalo Servat gonzalo at unixpac.com.au
Sun Feb 10 03:21:08 GMT 2002

Hi Andrew

This is version 2.2.3a

The error doesn't really bother me much as everything still seems to
work fine but the less errors in the log file the better :)

Another thing I noticed that I couldn't manage to create an LDIF file
for a samba-only user without having to use the posixAccount
objectclass. smbpasswd doesn't change the password for a samba-only user
with an error similar to "We couldn't find user <username>"

Once I added the posixAccount objectClass for the samba-only user with
the required attribute types (cn, uid, home directory, etc) it then
successfully changed the password for the user. Bug?

On Sun, 2002-02-10 at 22:01, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Gonzalo Servat wrote:
> >
> > Hi All
> >
> > I'm using Samba authenticating via LDAP and I noticed that if I do
> > CTRL-ALT-DEL and change my password (once logged into samba's PDC
> > domain) the rid value for that user changes to something very high. This
> > causes the log file to start spitting out things like 'We don't find
> > this rid [5006]'
> >
> > Any ideas why smbpasswd changes the rid value???
>
> A bug (this should not happen :-).  Which version of Samba is this?
>
> Andrew Bartlett
>
> --
> Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
> Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org