[Samba] Samba 2.2.3 Windows Printer Drivers definitions

erik tgr at home.se
Sat Feb 9 13:01:06 GMT 2002

Hi,
I have a question about the assignment of printer drivers
for windows
to my printers in printcap.

How do I configure a printer located in my printcap to be
recognised
by a windows pc as the right model?
Where is the mapping supposed to be saved?

I have RH 7.2, samba 2.2.3 and lprng running on a PPro 200
Compaq.
My intention is that it will serv as a queue server for
about 100 printers.

According to the Samba HOWTO Printing part
the parameter "printer driver", "printer driver locastion"
and 	"printer driver file"
is not to be used in new installations.

According to the same howto I can use the "Add printer
wizard" to upload drivers.
I have syccessfully uploaded drivers with the "Add printer
wizard" I have also done it with
rundll32 Printui.dll in windows.

I have tried to to use "Add printer wizard" and rpcclient
to set the model.
The commands seam to work fine but the settings dont seam
to be saved anywhere.

I think I have the right configuration.
I have no problem access file shares on the server with the
right username
and there is no problem to do regular printing if I select
the driver by hand
when I install it.

[global]
   load printers = yes
   printer admin = @staff

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

[print$]
    ; the directory below is writeable and
    ; the dirvers get uploaded to that directory
    path = /usr/local/samba/printers
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes