[Samba] NT domain authentication turns into "nobody"

Carl Benson cbenson at fhcrc.org
Fri Feb 8 13:50:08 GMT 2002

Hello.

My Samba server runs RedHat Linux 7.2, Samba v2.2.1a-4.

When I try to "map a network drive" from W2k or Win98 using
my NT domain ID, "cbenson", Samba contacts the WINS server
and the log says:

   Got a positive name query response from <the WINS server>
and
   Allowed connection from <my PC>

but then it turns around and says

   Invalid username/password for nobody [nobody]

which is totally wierd. It's as though at the last minute, it
decides instead of cbenson I must be nobody!

If I give it a valid (but different) Linux user ID & password
as recorded in the smbpasswd file, of course if fails NT
authentication because there's no such user in the NT domain,
but it makes the connection because it authenticates through
smbpasswd.

Here's my smb.conf. So have I made some stupid mistake? Or is
this a bug in Samba?

[global]
   encrypt passwords = yes
   hosts allow = 140.107.
   lm announce = false
   local master = false
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.smb
   debuglevel = 2
   server string = Cachalot Samba Server %h
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   username = /etc/samba/smbusers
   wins server = 140.107.<x>.<y>
   security = domain
   workgroup = PHS-SC
   password server = *
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   printing = bsd

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   path = %H
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   valid users = cbenson

Thanks in advance.
Carl Benson                |  cbenson at fhcrc.org
UNIX System Administrator  |  Telephone: (206) 667-4862
Fred Hutchinson Cancer     |  Fax:       (206) 667-6869
   Research Center         |  Opinions expressed are my own.