[Samba] Upgrade from 2.0.7 to 2.2.2 failure

Craig Kelley ink at inconnu.isu.edu
Fri Feb 8 10:52:03 GMT 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Craig Kelley wrote:
>
> > Another thing I've noticed is that Windows 2000 always says "access
> > denied" in the left-hand portion of the printer job screen, or if a
> > printer is highlighted in the control panel.  Jobs still print just fine,
> > so I don't worry about it too much.
>
> are you serving the printer drivers from the Samba box?  Or did you
> install the locally on the client?

They were installed locally on the client machines (under Samba 2.0.x),
and after upgrading to 2.2.x, I'm not certain exactly what happened... it
worked just the same as it used to for some users and not for others
(there would be no printers at all, and they wouldn't be allowed to add
any).  We eventually installed a program (CON2PRT.EXE) that runs when
people login so that the printers would always be there, and as long as
the printer is setup initially on the workstation it seems to work.

Printing.txt wasn't updated in 2.2.x, so I just assumed there were some
bugs that you guys were working on and didn't give it much thought.  It
never occured to me that this sort of behavior was desired.  ;)

So, how does one go about installing printer drivers with Samba then?

--
It is financially more expensive to go to prison than to attend Harvard.
Craig Kelley  -- kellcrai at isu.edu
http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger ink at inconnu.isu.edu for PGP block