[Samba] Slow access time and no access to security=user

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu Feb 7 19:06:04 GMT 2002

I have been using security=share and guest account = ftp and guest = ok in
most of my smb.conf since I am just a home user.
I decided to make security = user and set up one password protected share,
like so:

[global]
	encrypt passwords = yes
	netbios name = HAMMER2
	interfaces = 192.168.0.2
	security = user
	log level = 3
	guest account = ftp
	strict sync = Yes
[jlh]
	comment = Home
	path = /mnt/hda4/jlh
	read only = no

[AllFiles]
	comment = All Files
	path = /
	read only = Yes
	guest ok = Yes

Everything goes fine with:
smbmount //hammer2/jlh /mnt/NetWork/HAMMER2/jlh -o username=jlh password=aaaa

The share jlh is mounted. When I cd into that share and run ls, there is a
long delay (perhaps 15 seconds) before the files will list.
With KDE (kfm), I cannot list any files in directory /mnt/hda4/jlh. kfm complains the
directory is locked.
However, if I mount share AllFiles as a guest user, I can easily list
directory /mnt/hda/jlh quickly and easily with ls and with kde.

I have run smbpasswd on this server and entered in the proper user name and
password.

Here are some things from my log. It looks like jlh is getting registered as
a guest user.

smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(980)
Defaulting to Lanman password for jlh
smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(1018)
Registered username jlh for guest access  <---seems odd
smbd/process.c:process_smb(860)
Transaction 3 of length 69
smbd/process.c:switch_message(667)
switch message SMBtconX (pid 28729)
smbd/sec_ctx.c:set_sec_ctx(321)
setting sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
lib/access.c:check_access(307)
check_access: no hostnames in host allow/deny list.
lib/access.c:check_access(318)
Allowed connection from  (192.168.0.6)
smbd/password.c:authorise_login(898)
authorise_login: ACCEPTED: guest account and guest ok (ftp)

Any insight appreciated.

Joel