[Samba] Machine trust accounts in /etc/passwd

Ronald Jore ronald at it.usyd.edu.au
Thu Feb 7 17:32:03 GMT 2002

Newbie alert!

Hi there,

I would like to setup our samba server so that users known to the
server can login to Win2k clients without having a local account on
those machines in the first place, i.e. authenticate against the
server.
 From the excellent online documentation I learnt that I would have to
setup samba to act as PDC first so I set out to do this.

The one thing which really gives us problems here is that every
machine needs a local unix account and that the machine's "trust"
account name needs to contain a '$' character.
Because of the special meaning of '$' for shell scripts and regular
expressions this would potentially break all sorts of stuff we are
currently using to maintain our accounts.

Is there any way to setup samba as PDC
  - by either using machine trust accounts without any special characters, or
  - without creating an /etc/passwd entry for each machine altogether
(preferred)?

BTW: I found the following quote at
<http://samba.mirror.aarnet.edu.au/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#AEN1189>:

Because Samba requires machine accounts to possess a UNIX uid from
which an Windows NT SID can be generated, all of these accounts must
have an entry in /etc/passwd and smbpasswd. Future releases will
alleviate the need to create /etc/passwd entries.

Can anyone tell me for which release this is planned to be the case?

TIA

Ronald