[Samba] changing rw properties without owning file

Patrick Wibbeler patrick at jel.net
Thu Feb 7 08:38:37 GMT 2002

I'm trying to configure 2.2.2 to allow users who have write access to a
file to change the access privelages of that file without having to be
the owner of the file.  We're using a source control system that likes
to change read/write privelages on the working directory, and we don't
want to all have to log in as the owner of the files.

I'm using swat to configure, and I've tried changing "dos filemode" to
yes in the globals section.  My impression is that this flag allows the
sort of behavior I want, but it doesn't seem to actually work.  I can't
actually change read/write privelages (through a mapped network drive
using windows explorer) without being the actual owner of the file.  I
do, however, have read write privelages on the file in question.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pat