[Samba] Only one user for a file

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Thu Feb 7 00:16:51 GMT 2002

Thomas,

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:43:51 -0500, Thomas, Daniel J. wrote:

>This I think is a limitation of Unix.  In NT we can assign any number
>of users and groups with varied rights to any group of files or
>folders.  In UNIX you can only assign one user and one group to a set
>of files so either one person has control of the file, everyone in a
>group has control of the file, or the world has control of the file.
>I wish there was a better way to do this because I can think of
>special cases where you need to do more specific things for instance:

>I have a Linux web server.  One of the directories I would like to
>have multiple users given Read/write control to so they can edit the
>web content.

Just create a share for this purpose and configure "force user = XXX"
where XXX should be some special user noone logs in with. Now go to
the directory and do "chown -R XXX ." . Everyone who is allowed to
connect to the share will act in charge of user XXX, all files and
directories are owned by XXX, so the problem will be gone.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.