[Samba] Re: Samba 2.2.3 RedHat Intel 6.2 and 7.2 binary packages created

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Wed Feb 6 17:27:02 GMT 2002

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 09:45:41AM -0500, Max TenEyck Woodbury wrote:
> >
> > I hate to be critical, and I will probably build a binary
> > distribution from the sources, but the single package in
> > the SaMBa redhat 7.2 directory is NOT compatable with the
> > normal redhat linux 7.2 distribution. The normal redhat
> > linux 7.2 distribution contains three RPMs, not one. They are:
> > Samba-common
> > Samba-client
> > Samba-server
>
> Yes I know. We (the Samba Team) and RedHat disagree
> about this. Our opinion is that the separate package
> method leaves the user with only half the needed tools
> if only the client is installed.

I'm with you on this, Jeremy.  I like RedHat, but their
common-client-server packaging always leaves me confused and I end up
installing all of them.  Then I get stuck in some depency hell....

Anyway, I've taked to installing from source, so to heck with rpms ;-)

--Yan

> They are free to package as they wish however, as are
> we.
>
> Jeremy.
>
> --

Famous first words: My, my, my, my, my!