[Samba] Samba and 2k/NT4 server -shares readable but not writable

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Feb 6 05:56:03 GMT 2002

> Message: 15
> Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 01:38:41 -0800 (PST)
> From: John Little <jlittle_97 at yahoo.com>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] Samba and 2k/NT4 server -shares readable but not writable
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have Samba 2.2.2-3.2mdk setup on a workstation that
> accesses a w2k and NT4 server.
>
> I can mount the 2k share ok to /mnt/disk, and I can
> read the documents and files on it.  However I can't
> write to it as a user-Access denied.  When logged in
> as root or su everything works perfectly

Who has mounted the /mnt/disk? If you mounted it as one user, then
unless you have used mount options (see man "smbmount", specifically
uid,gid,fmask,dmask), another user using the mount will not be able to
access the files. The local permissions on the mounted share are
dependant on mount-time options, not on the permissions on the server.

> I have opened the permissions to allow guest and
> everyone on both machines but the problem still
> persists.

Remember that the permissions applied on the windows side apply to the
user who has connected. Thus if you have mounted as root, but made the
mount world-writeable, then any user on the linux side will have the
permissions of root (on the windows side).

> I tried creating a document in a home directory and
> the copying it to /mnt/disk but got the same result.
>
> I also stopped the bastille firewall and all other
> such services.

If you can successfully mount the share, firewalling is not an issue.
You should be able to keep your firewall up for other services, by
leaving ports 127-139 and 450? open.

> Can anyone shoot me in the right direction to getting
> this resolved?
>
> Thanks to all!
> John

Cellphone * Work       +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497 ext 202