[Samba] Reconnect at logon fails

Steven Don shd at earthling.net
Wed Feb 6 02:03:38 GMT 2002

Hello,

I use my Win98 (First edition) machine to log on to a Linux
(Mandrake, kernel 2.4.8) server running Samba (2.2.1a). I can log on
to my home directory just fine, but when I reboot the system tells me
it can't establish a permanent connection. It then presents me with a
dialog box to ask me whether I want to try again on next bootup. If I
double-click the disabled network drive from Explorer, it immediately
activates without any problems. I've tried some Google and MS
Knowledge Base searches on this issue. I've tried changing my user
profile and logon method (Windows Logon --> Microsoft Family Logon --
> Client for Microsoft Networks) to no avail. I've even tried
swearing at my PC. Although not helpful, the latter certainly felt
good.

Is this a known problem (I couldn't find anything about it)? Any
suggestions on what I might try to fix this?

Regards,
  Steven Don