[Samba] <printer-name> on <netbios-name> Access denied, unable to connect

Matthew Whitworth matthew at okcomputer.org
Wed Feb 6 00:33:43 GMT 2002

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Matthew Whitworth wrote:
>
> > After printing documents from a Win2k client, the system tray
> > printer icon sticks around (forever) with a mouse-over message that
> > says "1 document(s) pending for <username>".  When I double click on
> > the system tray printer icon, the queue window appears to be empty,
> > but the titlebar says "<printer-name> on <netbios-name> Access denied,
> > unable to connect". My print jobs print just fine, though.  Ideas...?
>
> See the "use client driver" parameter for a hint of what might be
> happening.

Okay, I read the smb.conf man page, and it sounds like I should either
use "use client driver = yes" or install the driver on the Samba host.

1. When I use "use client driver = yes", the printer spool window shows a
ghost job called smb.prn with status "Paused".  I cannot Cancel or Restart
the job, and there is no file called smb.prn on my Samba host or anything
in my UNIX print queue.

2. When I follow the instructions to install the driver onto the Samba
host using the Windows "Add New Printer" wizard (after creating a [print$]
share, etc.) I get a message saying that I need to install files from my
Windows 2000 Server CD.  Having no such CD (and not planning to purchase
one) I cancel.

Oh, and yes -- it seems I lied.  My formerly working setup was 2.0.x.
This is what happens when you "apt-get upgrade" at 2:00 AM.

Thanks,

Matthew

struct matthew_whitworth {
    char *email;