[Samba] Re: Samba 2.2.3 - Unable to replace old file on share

Charles Lee Charles.Lee at exeter.ac.uk
Tue Feb 5 06:26:21 GMT 2002

This is how I reproduce the problem...

1) Create a text file on the samba share. Lets call it monkey.txt.

2) Copy monkey.txt from the samba share to somewhere on the client (keeping
the same filename). I just copied it to the desktop.

3) Edit the version of monkey.txt that is now on the client and add some text
to it.

4) Try to copy the version of monkey.txt that is on the client from the client
to the same location as the monkey.txt on the samba share (ie to overwrite the
one on the share).

What should happen is that that dialog about replacing a file showing the size
of the old file and the size of the new file should appear. What I get is an
error saying something like "Access denied. The file may be in use.". Neither
of the files are in use and the file on the share can be deleted or moved
without any error.

I probably should have mentioned that I am running Samba as a PDC.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you can reproduce this and I'll try to get a
copy of my smb.conf to you later if that would help more.

Went back to 2.2.2 last night and definatley don't have this problem now.

Thanks very much,
Charlie