[Samba] Re: smbfs freezes on file copy

Johnson, Carl Carl.Johnson at HomeStore.com
Tue Feb 5 00:35:33 GMT 2002

Last update - finally the problem is fixed!

A rather interesting and perplexing solution...

My Win2k machine uses a D-Link USB wireless ethernet device.
It's what the file copies were using throughout this whole
problem.

I added a regular NIC to the Win2k machine and ran a long
cable to the Linux Samba client and tried copying the same
file - it worked!

What's REALLY weird is now the wireless works fine too!
I have no idea how, but adding the regular copper NIC fixed
my problems.  Maybe disabling/re-enabling the wireless adapter
did it, maybe adding the new card did it, maybe the stars
just aligned right... who knows... this is Windows we're talking
about, after all.

What I still don't understand is why other Samba clients could
always copy okay from the same Win2k machine over wireless.

Carl