[Samba] error when joining NT Domain and Samba 2.2.2

Darin DeCounter ddecounter at lvrj.com
Mon Feb 4 16:27:00 GMT 2002

I'm attempting to join an NT Domain with Samba 2.2.2.  I've had our NT
Admin. add the NETBIOS name of the Samba server (testddsrv) to the NT
domain on the PDC, as per Chapter 7 (7.1) instructions.  Our DOM is called
LVDD and the DOMPDC is PDC-LVDD.  When I stop the daemons and run smbpasswd
command, I get the following error.

testsrv{root}#cd /usr/local/samba/bin
testsrv{root}#smbpasswd -j LVDD -r PDC-LVDD
cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
PDC-LVDD.
Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.
2002/02/04 12:35:04 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain LVDD.
Unable to join domain LVDD.
testsrv{root}#

The join fails, but it succeeds if I use testddsrv for the DOM.  Can anyone
help me?  Thank you.

Darin DeCounter

Atex Assistant System Administrator
Las Vegas Review-Journal