[Samba] Re: Samba 2.2.3 released (new problems with W2k clients - need help)

Martin Thomas mthomas at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Sun Feb 3 16:53:03 GMT 2002

Hello Samba-Team and List-Members

First: congratulations to the 2.2.3 release. Especially the
PDC/BDC support and documentation is very interesting

BUT I still have the problem with 'overwriting' or 'replacing' files on a
samba share. I described this in a mail to the samba-technical mailing-list
last week since I already had the issue with a CVS version.
But did not get a response so far - it seems that everybody was very
busy with the new release.
( http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-technical/2002-February/034446.html )

I did some tests with the samba 2.2.3 tar release and the problem is still there.
Files and Directories already in a share can not be replaced with newer ones.
With Version 2.2.2 this was possible and I did not change the configuration-
settings or the smb.conf.

I can reproduce it on two servers (Suse Linux 6.3 with updated Kernel 2.4.16
and Debian with Kernel 2.2.18) with different clients (all Windows 2000 SP2).

I hope someone else can reproduce it, for example like this:
(I wrote the original german messages in () behind my translations -
maybe someone can send the exact messages from the english
Windows 2K)

- create a directory on the client and put some files in it
- copy the directory to a Samba share (with Samba 2.2.3 running)
-> no problem, directory is copied to the share, since there
 was no directory with this name in the share before.
- try to copy the client directory to the samba share again
- the W2K client will show the message-box "confirm exchange of folders"
 ("Ersetzen von Ordnern bestaetigen")
- select 'Yes to all' ("Ja, alle")
- the message box with title "Error during copy a file or directory" appears
 ("Fehler beim Kopieren der Datei oder des Ordners") with the text
 "<dir-name> kann not be copied: Access refused. The source-file may
 be opened" ( "<verzeichnisname> kann nicht kopiert werden: Der Zugriff
 wurde verweigert. Die Quelldatei ist moeglicherweise geoeffnet")

I know that the souce file is not open - I closed the editor before. And
there are no locked files mentioned in the output from smbstatus.
With SambaVersion 2.2.2 the files and directory where overwritten after
the confirmation. I did a Windows reboot and a samba restart to make
shure that there are no locked files - without success - access is still refused.

I hope I found the interesting part of the smbd.log:

switch message SMBntcreateX (pid 29575)
change_to_user: Skipping user change - already user
map_create_disposition: Mapped create_disposition 0x2 to 0x10
get_filename: data_offset = 87, data_len = 11, fname_len = 11
map_share_mode: DELETE_ACCESS requested. open_mode = 0x20001
map_share_mode: Mapped desired access 0x30196, share access 0x0, file attributes 0x20 to open_mode 0x20011
unix_convert called on file "\tmp4\egal"
unix_clean_name [/tmp4/egal]
Checking egal for 8.3
stat_cache_add: Added entry TMP4/EGAL -> tmp4/egal
conversion finished tmp4/egal -> tmp4/egal
unix_mode(tmp4/egal) returning 0600
allocated file structure 3484, fnum = 7580 (1 used)
open_file_shared: fname = tmp4/egal, share_mode = 20011, ofun = 10, mode = 600, oplock request = 3
is_in_path: tmp4/egal
is_in_path: match not found
unix_clean_name [tmp4/egal]

open_file_shared: create new requested for file tmp4/egal and file already exists.

freed files structure 7580 (0 used)
error string = File exists
error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(883) cmd=162 (SMBntcreateX) NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
size=35

It would be very nice if someone could tell me if she/he
can reproduce this or not. I just have to know if my configuration is
wrong of if it is a Samba problem/issue which I can not solve.

I have to switch back to Samba 2.2.2 now, but since I had some
issues with rpcclient/spools I'd like to update as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Martin

---
Martin THOMAS
University of Kaiserslautern, Institute of Environmental Engineering,
Kaiserslautern (ZIP 67663), Germany