[Samba] Configuring SAMBA (cannot force LINUX machine to DMB)

Thomas Gerdes tgerdes3609 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 3 16:41:09 GMT 2002

I am running a home network with Redhat Linux 7.2 running SAMBA 2.2.1a on my
Linux sever, and have one client connected via ethernet LAN card running
Windows_98.
Pinging the server and client from each other is successful.
I am trying to access my Linux server shares (running SAMBA 2.2.1a) both as
a test from my Linux computer and/or from my Windows_98 client computer.  I
have went through the DIAGNOSIS.TXT, and went through the Hour 13
"Troubleshooting guide" from SAMS teach yourself SAMBA in 24 hours.  When I
try to run the command "nmblookup -M -"

I get the response:
"querying __MSBROWSE__ on 192.168.1.255"
"name_query failed to find name __MSBROWSE__#01"

See my attached smb.conf, hosts, hosts.allow, hosts.conf, hosts.deny, and
lmhosts files.  Please let me know if any other files would be helpful to
diagnosis this problem.

On page 228 of the hour 13 troubleshooting guide it asks you to run the
following command.
"nmblookup -B 192.168.1.255 xserver"

I get the response:
"querying xserver on 192.168.1.255"
"name_query failed to find name xserver"

When I run the command for my client called "HOST" it finds my Windows_98
client ok.

I can access the share "public" from the Linux server using the smbclient
command ok.  It's just that my server does not show up on the Windows_98
client Network Neighborhood.

When I run the command "nmblookup xserver -S '*'" on my Linux server. I get
the following result:
"querying xserver on 192.168.1.255"
"name_query failed to find name xserver"
"querying * on 192.168.1.255"
"192.168.1.2 *<00>"
"Looking up status of 192.168.1.2"
"         HOST            <00> -         B <ACTIVE>"
"         WORKGROUP       <00> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>"
"         HOST            <03> -         B <ACTIVE>"
"         HOST            <20> -         B <ACTIVE>"
"         WORKGROUP       <1e> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>"
"         TGERDES         <03> -         B <ACTIVE>"

The IP address of my Windows_98 client is "192.168.1.2".  It seems that my
Windows_98 client is acting as the DMB.  Can you help!
Thank you,for any help you can give!