[Samba] pam_smbpass.so and "module is unknown"

Charlie Grosvenor charlie at thegrosvenors.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 06:10:05 GMT 2002

Hi
    I am using redhat 7.2 and Samba 2.2.3. I am trying to make it so that when a user changes their password with the passwd program their samba password is changed as well as their unix password. I am trying to use the pam_smbpass.so. The contents of the file /etc/pam.d/passwd is:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
#password   required    /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so

When ever i try and change a password using the passowr program i get the error "Module is unknown" does anybody know why this is? I have got the file pam_smbpass.so in the directory  /lib/security/

thankyou

Charlie