[Samba] Re: have problem to access the Samba server from Windows client

TeddyFung at aol.com TeddyFung at aol.com
Sat Feb 2 00:09:07 GMT 2002

Hello Samba team,

Recently, I installed a RH Linux 7.2 machine for Samba server.  I got into
trouble with the connection of the Samba server and the Windows clients. I
set up a special group and a special directory in the Samba for the Windows
users to access. The user names and the passwords in the special group were
the same as in the Windows client. From the Windows client's network place
folder, I could see the icon of Samba server but I couldn't access to the
Samba server from there. When I double clicked the samba server icon, it
shown up something like "this host not exist in the network." I tried to turn
off the firewall of the Samba server or enable its encrypt passwords, but
useless. Can somebody help me to find out what was wrong with the Samba? If
it is necessary, I can post the smb.conf later.

Yesterday, I went to the LinuxWorld Expo in New York City. I found at least
three exhibitors there said that their products beat Samba. As a Samba fan,
how you guys feel?

Best regards,
Teddy