[Samba] Questions on Mounting user shares [was:Re: Mounting SMB shares without root]

Louis Lam lsauchun at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 1 04:02:04 GMT 2002

Hello,

//pls refer to the mail entitled "Mounting SMB shares w/o root" below.

I have to face a similar problem also.

What I intended to do is for users on the client machine(linux) to be able
to mount their own smb share from the server(linux). In this case, I thought
of setting up one share each for the users of the system.

When this non-root user logs in to the client machine, how is he/she able to
mount their own particular share from the server?

In another words, i wanted to set it up just like a NT environment, where U
can "map" drives from remote machines as non-admin user.

I have tried the "putting it in fstab" approach, but only one username
option can be given there, so if someone else uses this machine, they will
not be able to mount their shares. BTW, with that I was able to let a
non-root user mount a share, but limited to only that user.

Is that the best i can do by putting the entry in fstab ?

How can I use autofs or pam_mount in this case to achieve this ?

Any other methods?

Thank u in Advance.

Louis Lam