[Samba] how to verify the connection between a Samba server and a Windows Xp client?

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Tue Dec 31 10:12:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 10:37, John H Terpstra wrote:
> You can not have a machine name and a user name that are the same.
>
> - John T.

Sorry john but seem you are wrong.
I've seen tons of setup made that way and also tested recentely this
thing while thinking of the gums api for head.

Windows is cleanely happy to have users and machines with the same name,
infact I think the whole machine$ thing has been done exactly for this
purpose, so that the user can have the same name of a machine as machine
has $ postpended.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399